Did you know that storage devices used at the moment have a limited storage life of less than 10 years? Which means you could lose your precious photographs, data, and music. I really didn’t realise this myself so looked further into it, this is what if found out…
Hard Drives have two disadvantages
- Mechanical failure can occur any time due to the rotation depreciation.
- Data will be vanished due to the earth magnetic field. In most cases the data corruption starts when data is not re-written within 5 years.
Flash Memory: Flash memory has problem for data retention
- Over time, the cells will lose their charge state. Approximately 5-7 years.
Magnetic Tape: This is the most common long-term archiving technology
- Very sensitive to the storage environment, humidity and temperature must be well-controlled or the tape will fail
- Standard practice is to re-build the archive every 3 years to ensure the archive
Solid State Disk ( SSD )
- SSD is working on the same technology as Flash memory, hence not suitable as data retention media.
Optical Media ( CD-R/DVD±R/Blu-Ray ):
- Optical drive is the most common use data carrier system
- The lifetime of optical media is highly depended on the storage environment
- Very sensitive for the UV.
None of these storage media lasts longer than 8 years…scary if you have lots of images archived thinking they provide lasting memories that you can come back to again and again.
MDiscs can hold data for 1000 years! I liked the product so much I bought the company…only joking. But we do now sell the discs here. They are genuine Ritek manufactured discs (created by Millenniata) that we get directly from the exclusive UK distributors. They have an anti-scratch surface (unlike many in the market). Please read the technical data and compatibility data PDF below for further information before making a purchase. M-DISC Introduction-Traxdata-R and Final Technical Report1
Traxdata M-DISC DVD Printable
3 x M-DISC in “3 in 1” silver DVD box.
You will need the starter pack if you don’t already own a M-Disc writer.
Starter-kit: LG External slim M-Ready
writer + 3 x M-DISC in retail pack
If you’re interested in purchasing any of these products please drop me an email and I can give you an idea of prices etc